For today’s English lesson, let’s check out five idioms that relate to sports. The idioms are learn the ropes, on the ball, skating on thin ice, be or get up to speed, and jump the gun
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or the check the transcript for the details:
- The new guy needed time to learn the ropes in the office.
- You may not have success in sales until you learn the ropes.
- The new manager is on the ball. He quickly got used to our computer system.
- Satoru is really on the ball and is able to use new idioms and vocabulary quickly.
- Nathan was skating on thin ice when he started cheating on his girlfriend.
- I think Jack comes to work late too often. The boss said he skating on thin ice. He may get fired!
- I was out of school for two days with a cold, so I need to get up to speed with my classmates.
- The boss wants to have a meeting tomorrow because he wants to get up to speed with our progress with the marketing campaign.
- Bob accused Joe of breaking his cell phone without giving Joe the chance to explain what happened. I think he jumped the gun.
- When Tommy saw his girlfriend at a café with another guy, he immediately accused her of cheating. He jumped the gun because that guy was her brother!
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Phrasal Verb Workshop
Let’s Master Phrasal Verbs & Vocabulary
In this FREE phrasal verb and vocabulary workshop I’ll teach you
- What phrasal verbs are and how we use them
- Why it is important for you to study phrasal verbs
- How to learn and actually remember this vocabulary using my proven 3 Easy Step Method.
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn phrasal verbs but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! And get my FREE pdf: 50 Phrasal Verbs
CHECK OUT MY TRANSCRIPTS & BOOKS
Just $27 per month
This is the ultimate package for podcast English fans!
This package includes all of the podcast English lessons, including this episode!. You get:
- Get every podcast PDF and mP3 for past and future episodes
- Over 600 English Lessons
- Weekly LIVE Group Coaching with Michael
- Access to Michael’s private Telegram group
FREE Updates Every New Podcast
Whenever there is new podcast, including this one, I will update this file and you can get a free updates.
Learn Grammar, Americans Idioms, Phrasal Verbs, Vocabulary and more!