Suppose, guess, and figure are similar words in English, but the way we use them is different. So, for today’s English lesson let’s have a look at how we use these three words
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or the check the transcript for the details:
How to use suppose:
- It’s 6:10pm and nobody answered the phone in Joe’s office. I suppose they’ve already gone home.
- I suppose Jack has a good reason for being late.
- It’s 3:00. I suppose we should start the meeting.
- The police suppose the bank was robbed between 9pm Friday and noon on Saturday.
- I suppose we could attract more customers by changing the color of the website.
How to use guess
- I guess Jane’s boyfriend is about 35 or 37 years old.
- There’s a long line in front of the restaurant. I guess there will be a long wait for a table.
How to use figure
- The boss said he wants to talk about something important tomorrow. I figure he will talk to me about that transfer to Tokyo I heard about.
- I cooked dinner! I figured you would be tired from your long day in the office, so I decided to cook dinner for you.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!