For today’s English lesson, let’s have a look at how we can use and to connect two verbs.
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or the check the transcript for the details:
How to use try and
- Let’s try and find a new place to have lunch. I’m tired of this deli.
- I’m going to try and ask the boss for a day off tomorrow. I hope he says yes.
- Do you want to try and call Jack. He must be in the office by now.
How to use wait and see
- We send that company our offer. Now we just need to wait and see what their reaction is.
- I just restarted the computer. Let’s wait and see if it reboots before calling the IT guys.
Come and / go and / stay and
- I invited Jack to come and have lunch with us.
- Why don’t you go to the restaurant I’m going to stay and work a little bit more.
- I have to go and buy some toner for the printer.
- I spilled coffee on my tie so I went and bought a new one before the meeting.
- I was busy this morning because the boss came and asked me a lot of questions.
You can omit and!
- Let’s go and get some coffee after work or Let’s go get some coffee after work.
- Can you come and help me finish this report? Or Can you come help me finish this report?
If you know anyone who has trouble with this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!