The word in is not just a preposition and it has a number of different uses in English. You probably know that in is a preposition, but did you also know that in also used as an adverb, an adjective, and even a noun? Today, let’s have a look at the various uses of this interesting little word.
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or the check the transcript for the details:
Using in as a preposition
- Jack is in the office today. The office surrounds Jack.
- The pen is in the desk drawer. The desk drawer is the enclosure of the pen.
- We went to Rome in July.
- I was pretty busy in the morning, so I relaxed in the afternoon.
- The Beatles were quite popular in the 1960’s.
- I’ll be there in 10 minutes.
- The repair work should be finished in a week.
- I cooked dinner in 20 minutes! It took 20 minutes to cook dinner.
- He finished the race in two hours. It was a record!
- Jack is in his late twenties.
- Lori and Nick are so in love!
- All of bottles are in line with the front of the shelf.
- Michael works in international education.
- Jane has been working in sales for a long time.
- In that opera, they sing in Italian.
- That symphony is in the key of G minor.
Using in as an adverb
- The fresh air blew in.
- Come in! The door is open.
- The door was broken, and we were locked in.
- I got in late this morning, but the boss wasn’t so upset.
- What time does your train get in?
Using in as an adjective
- I’m sorry, Jack’s not in today. He’s home with a cold.
- I won’t be in tomorrow. I have to take my car for service.
- In the 1980’s, big shoulder pads were in.
- Smoking cigarettes was in during the last century, but these days fewer and fewer people are smoking.
Using in plus with as a noun
- Bob has an in with the manager because he is married to the manager’s cousin.
- I may be able to help you. I have an in with someone in the music business.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!