For today’s English Lesson, let’s have a look at five idioms that use food-related words. The idioms are bring home the bacon, get something for peanuts, not my cup of tea, out to lunch, & a smart cookie.
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or the check the transcript for the details:
What does bring home the bacon mean?
- Jack brings home the bacon.
- In Tom’s family, he stays home taking care of the kids, and his wife brings home the bacon.
What does get something for peanuts mean?
- I got this new computer for peanuts!
- At the flea market in Brooklyn, you can get a lot of stuff for peanuts.
What does not my cup of tea mean?
- Playing sports is really not my cup of tea. I prefer listening to music.
- Jenny said that going to clubs is not her cup of tea. She likes to watch plays and musicals.
What does out to lunch mean?
- The new manager is a bit out to lunch. I don’t think he will be working here much longer.
- I think the guy we saw on the subway was a bit out to lunch.
What does smart cookie mean?
- The new manager is a smart cookie. She learned the computer system right away.
- Tomoko is a smart cookie. She speaks three languages and is an amazing piano player.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Phrasal Verb Workshop
Let’s Master Phrasal Verbs & Vocabulary
In this FREE phrasal verb and vocabulary workshop I’ll teach you
- What phrasal verbs are and how we use them
- Why it is important for you to study phrasal verbs
- How to learn and actually remember this vocabulary using my proven 3 Easy Step Method.
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn phrasal verbs but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! And get my FREE pdf: 50 Phrasal Verbs
CHECK OUT MY TRANSCRIPTS & BOOKS
Just $27 per month
This is the ultimate package for podcast English fans!
This package includes all of the podcast English lessons, including this episode!. You get:
- Get every podcast PDF and mP3 for past and future episodes
- Over 600 English Lessons
- Weekly LIVE Group Coaching with Michael
- Access to Michael’s private Telegram group
FREE Updates Every New Podcast
Whenever there is new podcast, including this one, I will update this file and you can get a free updates.
Learn Grammar, Americans Idioms, Phrasal Verbs, Vocabulary and more!