Turn is an interesting verb because it can be used in a number of phrasal verbs. For today’s English lesson, let’s have a look at nine of them.
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or the check the transcript for the details:
- Jack saw a motel, but they were full and so they turned him away.
- Even though we had a reservation, the restaurant turned us away. I’m never going back there again.
- When Jack found out they didn’t have a room, he turned away from the clerk in shock.
- Tommy turned away from Gina when she didn’t accept his flowers.
- The company turned Bob down when he applied for the sales job.
- We turned down a good number of applicants before we found the right marketing person.
- Jack had to turn back to the highway.
- You can’t turn back the hands of time.
- He turned on the radio in his car.
- I turned on the heater as soon as I woke up.
- Jack pulled in to the parking lot and turned off the car.
- I always turn off the light when I leave my office.
- Emi turned up the radio when she heard her favorite song.
- We can’t turn up the music because I don’t want to bother our neighbors.
- He turned down the radio.
- I asked them to turn down their TV because I want to study.
- It’s time to turn in for the night.
Show your support →
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
MY NEW BOOK FOR ESL TEACHERS
ESL Games for the Classroom:
101 Interactive Activities to Engage Your Students with Minimal Prep
Motivate your students to learn English with quick set-up, interactive activities from ESL Games for the Classroom. Every moment of class time counts. To fill class time productively, ESL Games for the Classroom offers effective ESL games that engage students with little or no prep work. Now On Sale!