English has two styles of sentences, one is called active and the other is called passive. For today’s English lesson, let’s look at both kinds of sentences, how they are formed and most importantly, how they are used.
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or the check the transcript for the details:
- Jane cooked dinner last night.
- The police will close the road at 5:00pm.
- The road was closed at 5:00pm yesterday.
- The empire state building was built in 1929.
- Apples are grown in New York.
- Many farms in New York grow apples.
- The data is passed from the database file to the SQL server.
- When Joe opened the refrigerator, he realized all of the cheese was eaten last night.
- My car was stolen last night.
- Many fine rugs are made in Turkey by skilled craftsmen.
- “Let It Be” was written in 1968 by Paul McCartney.
- My sister cooked dinner last night.
- Dinner was cooked by my sister.
- The marketing department will be holding a meeting at 3:00.
- A meeting will be held by the marketing department at 3:00.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!