The verb ring and the phrasal verb go off have a similar meaning. For today’s English lesson, let’s have a look at how we use these words in everyday English.
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or the check the transcript for the details:
- I ring the dinner bell when dinner is ready.
- The fireman rang the alarm to get the firemen ready to leave the firehouse.
- The alarm clock rings at 6:15.
- The smoke alarm rings whenever I make toast.
Using go off
- My alarm clock goes off at 6:15 every morning.
- The smoke alarm went off when I made toast.
- The signal goes off when the rice is finished boiling.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!