Do you know the difference between except and except for? These two phrases can be confusing, so for today’s English lesson, let’s have a look at how to use except and except for.
Here are the example sentences:
Listen to the podcast or the check the transcript for the details
Except or except for
- Everybody came to the party, except / except for Serena.
- He ate everything on the plate, except / except for the peas.
- I have no free time in my schedule, except / except for two hours on Friday afternoon.
Using except for
- My vacation in Paris was great, except for the rain.
- I finished cleaning the whole house, except for the bathroom.
- We drank all the liquor at the party, except for one bottle of champagne.
- I never go to the mall, except to shop for Christmas presents.
- Steve rarely goes to Manhattan, except to see his doctor.
- Happy does nothing all day except sleep and eat.
- These days I don’t do anything except work in the office.
- There are no good Thai restaurants except in Manhattan.
- You can’t buy those spices anywhere except at an Indian grocery store.
- Bob is a good employee, except that he comes to work late a lot.
- New York is a great place to live, except that it is cold in the winter.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Phrasal Verb Workshop
Let’s Master Phrasal Verbs & Vocabulary
In this FREE phrasal verb and vocabulary workshop I’ll teach you
- What phrasal verbs are and how we use them
- Why it is important for you to study phrasal verbs
- How to learn and actually remember this vocabulary using my proven 3 Easy Step Method.
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn phrasal verbs but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! And get my FREE pdf: 50 Phrasal Verbs
CHECK OUT MY TRANSCRIPTS & BOOKS
Just $27 per month
This is the ultimate package for podcast English fans!
This package includes all of the podcast English lessons, including this episode!. You get:
- Get every podcast PDF and mP3 for past and future episodes
- Over 600 English Lessons
- Weekly LIVE Group Coaching with Michael
- Access to Michael’s private Telegram group
FREE Updates Every New Podcast
Whenever there is new podcast, including this one, I will update this file and you can get a free updates.
Learn Grammar, Americans Idioms, Phrasal Verbs, Vocabulary and more!