We use the phrase the rest in English to mean the remaining portion of something. For today’s English lesson, let’s have a look at how to use the rest in everyday English conversation and writing. I’m also going to show you the phrase the rest is history.
Here are the example sentences:
Listen to the podcast or the check the transcript for the details
- I visited some customers in the morning, and I spent the rest of the day working in the office.
- I’m full. I think I’ll eat the rest of this sandwich tomorrow.
- I watched part of that TV show last night, so I want to see the rest of it tonight.
- I watched part of that TV show last night, so I want to see the rest tonight.
- That sandwich was too big, so I ate half at the diner and took the rest home.
- Only one of these books is mine. The rest are Jacks.
- Bob and his girlfriend were always fighting because he started drinking. One day she met another guy and the rest is history.
- How did Jack get into a car accident? Well, he was talking on the phone while driving and the rest is history.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!