RUN is an interesting verb that combines with several prepositions to form phrasal verbs. As you know, a phrasal verb is a verb plus a preposition which is used as an idiom. For today’s English lesson let’s have a look at five phrasal verbs that use RUN.
Here are the example sentences:
Listen to the podcast or the check the transcript for the details
run away (from)
- Jane! Why did you run away from me last night. Don’t you love me?
- Tommy ran away from home when he was 13 and joined the circus.
- I put a fence around my house to keep my dogs from running away.
run into (1)
- Jack said he ran into Jon Bon Jovi in the hotel lobby.
- I hope I don’t run into my ex-girlfriend at the club tonight.
- If you run into Jane at the party, tell her I said hello!
run into (2)
- Bob was rushing to leave the office and ran into his secretary. She dropped all of her files and a cup of coffee.
- If you drive too closely to the car in front of you, you might run into it.
- The truck’s brakes malfunctioned and it ran into a parked car.
run out of
- If you run out of supplies like pens or folders, just ask the office manager.
- Tom never seems to run out of excuses for being late.
- If we do not hurry we will run out of time. The report is due by the end of the day.
run over (1)
- We need to run over the price list once more before having it printed.
- I need someone to help me run over this report.
- Let’s run over the plan one more time to make sure we know what to do.
run over (2)
- The CEO’s speech ran over, so we need to extend the meeting a few more minutes.
- If the meeting runs over more than 10 minutes, the hotel will charge us an overtime fee.
- The concert ran over because the band did three encores.
Show your support →
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
MY NEW BOOK FOR ESL TEACHERS
ESL Games for the Classroom:
101 Interactive Activities to Engage Your Students with Minimal Prep
Motivate your students to learn English with quick set-up, interactive activities from ESL Games for the Classroom. Every moment of class time counts. To fill class time productively, ESL Games for the Classroom offers effective ESL games that engage students with little or no prep work. Now On Sale!