The words quit, retire, fire & lay off are all used to talk about ending employment. For today’s English lesson, let’s check out how these phrases can be used in everyday English Conversation.
Here are the example sentences:
Listen to the podcast or the check the transcript for the details
- I quit my job last week.
- I quit working for the bank.
- I resigned from my job last week.
- I resigned from the bank.
Using “fired” & “laid off:”
- Joe got fired because he came to work late too many times.
- Jenny got laid off because the company had a hard time in this bad economy.
Using “retire” & “retirement:”
- Brad retired from the bank and now lives in Florida.
- My grandfather is enjoying is retirement and new life in Southern California.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Phrasal Verb Workshop
Let’s Master Phrasal Verbs & Vocabulary
In this FREE phrasal verb and vocabulary workshop I’ll teach you
- What phrasal verbs are and how we use them
- Why it is important for you to study phrasal verbs
- How to learn and actually remember this vocabulary using my proven 3 Easy Step Method.
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn phrasal verbs but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! And get my FREE pdf: 50 Phrasal Verbs
CHECK OUT MY TRANSCRIPTS & BOOKS
Just $27 per month
This is the ultimate package for podcast English fans!
This package includes all of the podcast English lessons, including this episode!. You get:
- Get every podcast PDF and mP3 for past and future episodes
- Over 600 English Lessons
- Weekly LIVE Group Coaching with Michael
- Access to Michael’s private Telegram group
FREE Updates Every New Podcast
Whenever there is new podcast, including this one, I will update this file and you can get a free updates.
Learn Grammar, Americans Idioms, Phrasal Verbs, Vocabulary and more!