We use It, this, and that to refer back to something that was just mentioned, talked about, or written. However, they way we use them is different. For today’s English lesson, let’s have a look at how they are used in everyday English.
Here are the example sentences:
Listen to the podcast or the check the transcript for the details
- I went to Jack’s party last night. It was so much fun. It replaces “Jack’s party.”
- We are planning a trip to Asia. It will be about three weeks long. It replaces “a trip to Asia.”
- Have you ever seen Casablanca? It’s a great movie. It replaces “Casablanca.”
Compare these two sentences:
- I went to Jack’s party last night. It was so much fun.
- I went to Jack’s party last night. That was an amazing party. The food was great and everyone had a great time.
Using “this” or “that”
- We are planning a trip to Asia. This will be the first time for both of us to visit China, Japan and Korea.
- Have you ever seen Casablanca? That is probably one of the most classic films of the last century.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Phrasal Verb Workshop
Let’s Master Phrasal Verbs & Vocabulary
In this FREE phrasal verb and vocabulary workshop I’ll teach you
- What phrasal verbs are and how we use them
- Why it is important for you to study phrasal verbs
- How to learn and actually remember this vocabulary using my proven 3 Easy Step Method.
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn phrasal verbs but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! And get my FREE pdf: 50 Phrasal Verbs
CHECK OUT MY TRANSCRIPTS & BOOKS
Just $27 per month
This is the ultimate package for podcast English fans!
This package includes all of the podcast English lessons, including this episode! You get:
- Get every podcast PDF and mP3 for past and future episodes
- Over 600 English Lessons
- Weekly LIVE Group Coaching with Michael
- Access to Michael’s private Telegram group
FREE Updates Every New Podcast
Whenever there is new podcast, including this one, I will update this file and you can get a free updates.
Learn Grammar, Americans Idioms, Phrasal Verbs, Vocabulary and more!