THE is the definite article. THE has many uses, but in general, THE is used before nouns that represent specific things. Here are some examples where THE is always used. Try to memorize these combinations
Here are the example sentences:
Listen to the podcast or the check the transcript for the details
The + First (second, third, etc)
- The first time I travelled to Japan I was by myself.
- I like to take the first cup of coffee from the pot.
The + Same
- I didn’t want to eat the same thing every day.
- After all these years, Jack still looks the same as he did in high school.
The + Only
- The only thing I didn’t eat was American food.
- Jack was the only person in the office after 7pm last night.
The + Morning, Afternoon, Evening
- The morning meals were interesting.
- I usually have lessons in the afternoon.
- It is usually warm in the evenings in the summer here.
The + Rest
- I got used to it on the rest of the trip.
- If you like, why don’t you eat the rest of the chocolate pie.
The + Last, Next
- The last time I went to Turkey, I stayed in Istanbul.
- Please look at the next sentence in this lesson.
The + Future and Past
- I will probably buy a new computer in the future.
- In the past, there was no internet or computers.
The + Sun, Moon
- The sun is very strong these days, so if you spend time outside, use a good
- If you had a chance, would you go to the moon?
The + Government, World, etc – (When there is only one)
- The government provides services for its citizens.
- The world has gotten smaller these days because of the internet.
The + Adjective -est (Always use the before a superlative)
- I think this is the best English lesson website in the world!
- I’m usually the busiest in the mornings.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Phrasal Verb Workshop
Let’s Master Phrasal Verbs & Vocabulary
In this FREE phrasal verb and vocabulary workshop I’ll teach you
- What phrasal verbs are and how we use them
- Why it is important for you to study phrasal verbs
- How to learn and actually remember this vocabulary using my proven 3 Easy Step Method.
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn phrasal verbs but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! And get my FREE pdf: 50 Phrasal Verbs
CHECK OUT MY TRANSCRIPTS & BOOKS
Just $27 per month
This is the ultimate package for podcast English fans!
This package includes all of the podcast English lessons, including this episode!. You get:
- Get every podcast PDF and mP3 for past and future episodes
- Over 600 English Lessons
- Weekly LIVE Group Coaching with Michael
- Access to Michael’s private Telegram group
FREE Updates Every New Podcast
Whenever there is new podcast, including this one, I will update this file and you can get a free updates.
Learn Grammar, Americans Idioms, Phrasal Verbs, Vocabulary and more!