Do you like cold weather? Are you a fan of the winter? For today’s English lesson, let’s look at some idioms and vocabulary related to the cold.
Here are the example sentences:
Listen to the podcast or the check the transcript for the details
- Jack Frost is outside.
- Old Man Winter came for a visit.
- It’s 32 degrees but the wind chill factor is 20. It feels like 20 degrees because of the wind.
- The snow is starting to stick.
- It’s snowing, and the snow is sticking.
- The snow isn’t sticking.
- It’s snowing, but the snow’s not sticking.
- The snow is starting to accumulate (or) The snow is starting to pile up.
- The snow is accumulating (or) The snow is piling up.
- About 5 inches of snow accumulated overnight (or) About 5 inches of snow piled up overnight.
- We are expecting an accumulation of 5 to 10 inches of snow.
- We are expecting snow accumulation of 5 to 10 inches.
To give someone the cold shoulder:
- When John saw his ex-girlfriend at the party with another guy, he gave them the cold shoulder.
- Jenny gave me the cold shoulder this morning in the office. I wonder what’s wrong.
To be snowed under:
- I’m snow under this week, so I have to work a lot of overtime to finish it.
- At the end of a semester, most college students are snowed under with schoolwork.
To be on thin ice:
- Jack’s girlfriend caught him having drinks with another woman last month and he is still spending time with her. He’s really on thin ice. If his girlfriend catches him again she’s going to leave him.
- Christopher came late again today? He’s already on thin ice with the boss for having a bad sales record.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Phrasal Verb Workshop
Let’s Master Phrasal Verbs & Vocabulary
In this FREE phrasal verb and vocabulary workshop I’ll teach you
- What phrasal verbs are and how we use them
- Why it is important for you to study phrasal verbs
- How to learn and actually remember this vocabulary using my proven 3 Easy Step Method.
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn phrasal verbs but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! And get my FREE pdf: 50 Phrasal Verbs
CHECK OUT MY TRANSCRIPTS & BOOKS
Just $27 per month
This is the ultimate package for podcast English fans!
This package includes all of the podcast English lessons, including this episode!. You get:
- Get every podcast PDF and mP3 for past and future episodes
- Over 600 English Lessons
- Weekly LIVE Group Coaching with Michael
- Access to Michael’s private Telegram group
- Downloadable PDF: The word-for-word transcripts for every podcast episode
- Downloadable Mp3: The audio files for every podcast episode
FREE Updates Every New Podcast
Whenever there is new podcast, including this one, I will update this file and you can get a free updates.
Learn Grammar, Americans Idioms, Phrasal Verbs, Vocabulary and more!