What does a preposition do? How to prepositions work? Many people ask about these funny little words in English Grammar. Let’s have a look at one today. OF is a preposition with a number of different use in English. For today’s English lesson, I’m going to show you these differences and also how you can use of when you speak and write English.
Here are the example sentences:
Listen to the podcast or the check the transcript for the details
Of to show relationships between verbs that shows a mental state and their objects:
- I think of you every day.
- We know of many good restaurants in NYC.
Of to show relationships between verbs of change and their objects:
- Nothing became of the meeting we had about marketing.
- That medicine cured Rob of his cold. That medicine changed Rob’s medical condition.
Of to show belonging or the origin:
- The symphonies of Beethoven are quite dramatic.
- The president of the country is a powerful person in that country.
Of to show relationships between one part of a whole thing:
- The staff of IBM receive intensive training before starting work.
- The people of New York City are often willing to help others who are in need.
Of to show human relationships:
- A friend of mine is getting married next week.
- A neighbor of mine has a big dog.
Of to show material or contents:
- This website consists of many different types of English lessons.
- This pasta is made of the finest ingredients.
Of to show quantity:
- I brought a bottle of wine to the party.
- I have a special pair of shoes for golf.
Of to show physical location:
- Jack was sitting in front of us at the theater.
- Put that table on the right side of the sofa.
Yesterday’s listening challenge answer:
- Jack invited Jenny to a new jazz club.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Phrasal Verb Workshop
Let’s Master Phrasal Verbs & Vocabulary
In this FREE phrasal verb and vocabulary workshop I’ll teach you
- What phrasal verbs are and how we use them
- Why it is important for you to study phrasal verbs
- How to learn and actually remember this vocabulary using my proven 3 Easy Step Method.
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn phrasal verbs but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! And get my FREE pdf: 50 Phrasal Verbs
CHECK OUT MY TRANSCRIPTS & BOOKS
Just $27 per month
This is the ultimate package for podcast English fans!
This package includes all of the podcast English lessons, including this episode!. You get:
- Get every podcast PDF and mP3 for past and future episodes
- Over 600 English Lessons
- Weekly LIVE Group Coaching with Michael
- Access to Michael’s private Telegram group
FREE Updates Every New Podcast
Whenever there is new podcast, including this one, I will update this file and you can get a free updates.
Learn Grammar, Americans Idioms, Phrasal Verbs, Vocabulary and more!