Pick is an interesting verb in English because it is used in a number of phrasal verbs, especially pick. For today’s English lesson, let’s look at how to use these phrasal verbs in English conversation and writing.
Here are the example sentences:
Listen to the podcast or the check the transcript for the details
How to use pick on:
- All of my friends picked on me when I shaved my head.
- The boss is often picking on Jim because he’s not the smartest guy in the office.
- When the bully was picking on Tommy in the schoolyard he punched him.
How to use pick out:
- I picked out some flowers to put at the reception desk.
- I picked out a nice tie to wear with my blue suit.
- I have to go to the bakery and pick a cake out for my mom’s birthday.
How to use pick up:
- I need to pick up my boss at the airport.
- It’s raining! Can you pick me up from the train station?
- I wish those kids would pick up their trash from the floor.
- Eddie said he picked up the new Pink Floyd CD.
- Let’s pick up some donuts on the way to the meeting.
- Next week is Jack’s birthday we should pick up the cake.
- Those guys went to the bar to try and pick up some women.
- In the TV program friends Joey is always trying to pick up girls.
- Jenny didn’t realize it but the waiter was trying to pick her up.
- Since the company changed its marketing plan sales have picked up.
- Paul said his luck at the casino started to pick up after midnight.
- Replacing the carpet really picked up the atmosphere in this room.
Show your support →
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
MY NEW BOOK FOR ESL TEACHERS
ESL Games for the Classroom:
101 Interactive Activities to Engage Your Students with Minimal Prep
Motivate your students to learn English with quick set-up, interactive activities from ESL Games for the Classroom. Every moment of class time counts. To fill class time productively, ESL Games for the Classroom offers effective ESL games that engage students with little or no prep work. Now On Sale!