Pick is an interesting verb in English because it is used in a number of phrasal verbs, especially pick. For today’s English lesson, let’s look at how to use these phrasal verbs in English conversation and writing.
Here are the example sentences:
Listen to the podcast or the check the transcript for the details
How to use pick on:
- All of my friends picked on me when I shaved my head.
- The boss is often picking on Jim because he’s not the smartest guy in the office.
- When the bully was picking on Tommy in the schoolyard he punched him.
How to use pick out:
- I picked out some flowers to put at the reception desk.
- I picked out a nice tie to wear with my blue suit.
- I have to go to the bakery and pick a cake out for my mom’s birthday.
How to use pick up:
- I need to pick up my boss at the airport.
- It’s raining! Can you pick me up from the train station?
- I wish those kids would pick up their trash from the floor.
- Eddie said he picked up the new Pink Floyd CD.
- Let’s pick up some donuts on the way to the meeting.
- Next week is Jack’s birthday we should pick up the cake.
- Those guys went to the bar to try and pick up some women.
- In the TV program friends Joey is always trying to pick up girls.
- Jenny didn’t realize it but the waiter was trying to pick her up.
- Since the company changed its marketing plan sales have picked up.
- Paul said his luck at the casino started to pick up after midnight.
- Replacing the carpet really picked up the atmosphere in this room.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Phrasal Verb Workshop
Let’s Master Phrasal Verbs & Vocabulary
In this FREE phrasal verb and vocabulary workshop I’ll teach you
- What phrasal verbs are and how we use them
- Why it is important for you to study phrasal verbs
- How to learn and actually remember this vocabulary using my proven 3 Easy Step Method.
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn phrasal verbs but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! And get my FREE pdf: 50 Phrasal Verbs
CHECK OUT MY TRANSCRIPTS & BOOKS
Just $27 per month
This is the ultimate package for podcast English fans!
This package includes all of the podcast English lessons, including this episode!. You get:
- Get every podcast PDF and mP3 for past and future episodes
- Over 600 English Lessons
- Weekly LIVE Group Coaching with Michael
- Access to Michael’s private Telegram group
FREE Updates Every New Podcast
Whenever there is new podcast, including this one, I will update this file and you can get a free updates.
Learn Grammar, Americans Idioms, Phrasal Verbs, Vocabulary and more!